05 June 2007

Culture vs. Scripture

Go back and read your Bible.
What does it say about....? pick your topic.
I want to challenge you that many of the things you think of as the way things should be within the church or among Christians simply have no basis in the Bible. Many do not even have a long history within the church.

If we are serious about reaching the people of OUR world in THIS century, we must be radical. We have to go back to the root -- what God says in his Word. And you must be prepared to face the fact that what he says in his word may not be what you expected.

So much of the way we do things as American Christians is dictated not by God, but by culture. That does not in itself mean it is wrong. It may be "indifferent" (that means, it doesn't matter). But perhaps this way needs to be changed in order to make us effective in what God has us here to do.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you shave your head yet?

Safari Bob said...

I wonder why Christians are still wanting a 'radical' experience. I remember saying something similar back in 1982.

Serapion said...

Appreciate your comment Safari Bob!

I think "radical" cuts ALL ways. My current church is pentecostal. Tradition means anyone who doesn't speak in tongues couldn't be saved.

My first church was Methodist. For them tradition meant attending church even though it was meaningless. They didn't even know what "saved" meant.

I've got a friend who is frustrated by the fact that most churches are completely self-absorbed and don't see God's call to transform the earth in the cultural mandate.

I've been wanting a "radical" experience since at least 1976 and I think we must constantly challenge each other to keep from getting too stuck in our comfort zone.